Offsider – Waste Services
- Are you looking to build upon your waste collection and driving experience?
- Do you have a strong customer focus and enjoy working as part of a team?
- Share your civic pride by keeping our city clean and tidy.
- Permanent full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is now seeking a dedicated and reliable Offsider to provide join our Waste and Commercial Collections team, with a focus on safety, high-quality customer service outcomes and operational efficiency, incuding an emphasis on continuous improvement.
This is a key frontline collections position and is critical to the effective provision of collections service to the community. As the successful candidate, you’ll work as a part of a team and will assist with moving bins, operating lifting equipment, loading bins and waste material into collection vehicles and operating compaction equipment. As part of skills-building and succession planning, we also offer the opportunity to provide relief coverage across the section, including driving.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Class HR driver’s licence.
- Moderate experience in "offsiding" on rear loading waste collection vehicles within the waste collections industry, as well as the ability to manually handle two and four wheeled waste containers and bulky goods items, including the use of mechanical waste bin collection aids (e.g. bin lifters, lifting frames, etc) and mobile waste compaction equipment.
- Flexibility to work morning and afternoon shifts where required.
- Working knowledge of relevant WHS requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid literacy and numeracy skills, including moderate computer skills.
- A solid level of written and oral communication skills.
- High customer service focus and commitment to continuous improvement, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and residents.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Ability to follow collection route maps and work sheets, both written and electronic.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Previous experience in the operations of waste collections vehicles / activities within the waste collections industry, including rear loading waste collections vehicles and dual control side loading waste collection vehicles, including the ability to handle vehicles in tight and difficult to navigate situations.
- Previous experience in the delivery, repair, maintenance, cleaning and installation of bins and associated equipment such as enclosures and stands.
- Previous experience with the operation and use of GPS in-vehicle routing / scheduling / reporting software systems.
- Familiarity with the City of Newcastle local government area.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Tuesday, 2 February 2021.
Remuneration: $58,529.05 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: Daniel Radford, Acting Waste and Commercial Collection Manager, 02 4974 2543.