Offsider – Waste Services
- Are you looking to build upon your waste collection and driving experience?
- Do you have a strong customer focus and enjoy working as part of a team?
- Share your civic pride by keeping our city clean and tidy.
- 3 x permanent full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is now seeking three dedicated and reliable Offsiders to provide support with bin manoeuvring and emptying (two and four wheeled), the loading/collection of bulky goods, as well as the operation of mechanical waste bin collection aids and mobile waste compaction equipment.
As a successful candidate you’ll also provide relief/coverage in the Waste Collections General Hand position and for Collection Vehicle Drivers, operating mainly rear load and side load collection vehicles.
Additionally, amongst other duties you’ll ensure compliance with all RMS, statutory and CN standard operating and WHS procedures, policies and regulations, and will provide a quality service to all customers.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you'll need:
- Class HR driver’s licence.
- Moderate experience in "offsiding" on rear loading waste collection vehicles within the waste collections industry, as well as the ability to manually handle two and four wheeled waste containers and bulky goods items, including the use of mechanical waste bin collection aids (e.g. bin lifters, lifting frames, etc) and mobile waste compaction equipment.
- Flexibility to work morning and afternoon shifts where required.
- Working knowledge of relevant WHS requirements.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid literacy and numeracy skills, including moderate computer skills.
- A solid level of written and oral communication skills.
- High customer service focus and commitment to continuous improvement, with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and residents.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Ability to follow collection route maps and work sheets, both written and electronic.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Previous experience in the operations of waste collections vehicles / activities within the waste collections industry, including rear loading waste collections vehicles and dual control side loading waste collection vehicles, including the ability to handle vehicles in tight and difficult to navigate situations.
- Previous experience in the delivery, repair, maintenance, cleaning and installation of bins and associated equipment such as enclosures and stands.
- Previous experience with the operation and use of GPS in-vehicle routing / scheduling / reporting software systems.
- Familiarity with the City of Newcastle local government area.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Upon applying, we highly encourage you to add [email protected] to your email contact list in order to ensure you receive communication from us regarding this application.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 14 June 2020.
Remuneration: $57,664.09 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: David Thomas, Waste and Commercial Collection Manager, 02 4974 6046.