- Enjoy career variety and progression in a stunning location, with fantastic adventure opportunities!
- Attractive remuneration package circa $69,365 - $93,805 plus 9.5% super & salary packaging!
- Experience an inclusive work culture, 5 weeks annual leave & flexi-days for a 9-day fortnight!
Walgett Shire Council & the Lighting Ridge Area
Walgett Shire Council is a local government on the border of New South Wales and Queensland that provides services to Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and the surrounding rural areas. The Shire covers an area of 22,000 square kilometres and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Found near the junction of the Namoi River and Barwon River, Walgett is a town full of history, tranquillity and adventure. A former paddle-steamer port, it is the northern gateway to the Darling River Run, a fascinating journey that takes in stunning landscapes and rich history.
Just under an hour's drive north, the Lightning Ridge area offers plenty of adventure, history and Outback majesty. From fossicking for opals to admiring art in an underground cave, there's something for everyone in this unique and colourful region include relaxing in naturally-heated springs, fishing on the Barwon or Namoi Rivers, and so much more.
For more information about Walgett and the Lightning Ridge area, please click here.
About the Opportunity
An exciting and varied opportunity is now available for a Town Planner to join Walgett Shire Council's multifaceted team on a full-time permanent basis, based in Walgett, NSW.
Reporting to the Director Environmental Services, you will be responsible for providing professional guidance and development assessment services to applicants on a range of compliance, building, land use planning and town planning matters to improve community outcomes.
Your main responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Assessing and processing development applications and providing expert written and verbal guidance to members of the public and Council staff on development assessment and issues concerning strategic land use planning;
- Developing, implementing and monitoring the Local Environmental Plan, Development Control Plan, Section 94 Plan and Council policies in accordance with relevant statutes and legislation;
- Reporting weekly to the Director Planning and Regulatory Services on development assessment and relevant activities, and where necessary, liaising with other Government authorities on a range of matters including internal projects;
- Representing the Council at the Land and Environment Court and other tribunals/legal proceedings;
- Developing, implementing and monitoring programs related to strategic land use planning, heritage conservation and environmental planning; and
- Consulting with the public and local community organisations at various events and functions.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this role you will have demonstrable experience in town planning, with at least a portion of your time spent in rural/remote communities for local government, as well as tertiary qualifications in urban and regional planning or a closely related discipline.
As an experienced town planner with rural/remote experience, you will have a detailed knowledge of land use planning related legislation and be able to competently navigate relevant software, notwithstanding Microsoft Office, Authority, MapInfo and Trim or equivalent, and ideally IntraMaps.
Working within a unique rural environment, you will understand the working limitations imbued within a regional locale and be confident addressing a broad range of responsibilities with a flexible and open mindset, introducing processes for change to a passionate and diverse community.
With strong people management, teamwork and interpersonal skills, a proactive mindset driven to finding solutions, and ideally some experience with grant funding, project management, heritage matters, and/or small scale mining, you will be able to hit the ground running within one of the most diverse, broad, and multi-skilled teams in Walgett Shire Council.
About the Benefits
In recognition of your hard work and dedication you will enjoy an excellent remuneration package circa $69,365 - $93,805, dependant on your experience and qualifications, plus 9.5% super and additional salary packaging options.
Walgett Shire Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and a great range of additional benefits to help you enjoy life in the local community, including:
- A 9 day fortnight;
- 5 weeks annual leave;
- Subsidised housing or rental assistance; and
- Flexi-days to ensure a great work/life balance.
This is an exciting opportunity to experience variety and advance your career within a friendly, supportive council that enjoys great staff retention and an inclusive work culture. You will be joining a passionate, multi-faceted team and receive ongoing professional development opportunities to excel your career.
In addition, you'll be conveniently located in an office on the main street, close to local cafes and shops.
Please Note: Applications close 23rd July 2020.
Enjoy variety and progression in your career within a supportive local Council - Apply Now!